Upon graduating from college, Communication Journalism majors should be prepared to go out into the real world with a certain set of skills to help them obtain a position within his or her field. These skills are imperative to be successful.
- Writing-Writing is a big part of any job in the Comm/Journ field. Being able to clearly and consisively write will be a plus for you.
- Editing- Whether it is your own work or someone elses, knowing editing markings and AP style will be beneficial.
- Background in software– The ability to use different types of software will make you more marketable. Knowledge of a variety of programs is key. Keeping up with technology is a good idea. Know what is being used on the internet.
- Communication-Easily the most important skill. If you can’t communicate effectively, what are you doing with this field? Make a great first impression.
- Public Speaking– It’s extremely important to be able to speak to groups of people with ease. Practice makes perfect.
- Time management– Being able to use your time effectively is important. Multiple projects could be occuring at the same time and managing time will assure everything gets completed.
- Organization– Being organized is a given positive point. Just do it.
- Flexability– Be flexible. You never know what can happen if you’re willing to bend in ways you weren’t at first thinking about.